Friday 23 May 2014

Delivery Part 4

Capt. Will, stress free as always looked up at the boom and said “that’ll be the outhall”. Fortunately, the reefing lines stopped foot of the main from flying off. So, with a bit of an issue like a genoa furling line being too short to reach the winch causing the jib to ‘hourglass’ as we tried to furl it in 25 knot winds. This then took some clever boat positioning to shadow the disfigured jib behind the main so we could correct it.. No sooner did we have it all reset with the first reef in when, like the outhall, the first reefing line also snapped. Replay! with nightfall fast approaching. I’m quietly thinking… Cape Hataras, Skeleton Coast…This time we (when I say we... I really mean Will) figured out how to safely get the jib furled and finally got the second reef in and reinforced, the jib back out and the boat flying along at 16 to 20 knots in 8 to 10 foot seas just as night fell. This was just the sort of sailing I needed and had hoped for. I had gained a good idea of the limits and how to avoid them.
All this gear courtesy of Phil Berman -it was hugely necessary thanks Phil. At least I look the part.

1 comment:

  1. Ahoy there captain! Enjoying my Sunday morning reading the blog!

    ReplyDelete