Friday 7 October 2016

Baotic Marina - Trigor. Wintering the Summer Amy - The last post

We called on the way in to Baotic and were directed to a good spot only 100 meters from the facilities. We were quickly followed by that southerly.

One night on the boat, the next two before Sal flew home in an amazing apartment overlooking the marina. Brand new, super luxuries, we were the first to use it.

A schmick marina, 'the hard' where they put boats when they take them out of the water is pristine, a little like airside at the airport. A large area of flat, clean concrete, nothing lying about or out of place. It was hard to imagine where they would put us with me still living on the boat.



A special restaurant had to be found for our final dinner which was to be accompanied by a bottle of Henchke's Hill of Grace 2008.

Don Dino's in Trogir was chosen via Trip Adviser and on arrival we asked if it would be ok to drink our own wine. No problem and it was duly decantered at our table.

The last two seasons we have always tried to drink our special bottle with steak and it has always been disappointing, the steak that is. Croatian lamb had proved its worth on many occasions, so lamb it was. An outstanding success.

Frantic last minute packing. I have no idea how we got it all in nor where all this 'stuff' came from but Sal and the kids were fully loaded by the time the took off.

Tuesday the 4th clocked around and we were ready. Sal and the kids in a taxi, me one more night on the boat in the water before she got hauled out.

So far, the only crane capable of taking the Summer Amy out of the water is a 200 ton travel lift. She only weighs 6 ton but its her width that makes that necessary.





I went into reception on Wednesday the 5th and asked what time the haul out was scheduled for. She made a call and pointed to a small fixed crane not far from where we were standing. I explained that it was a catamaran, that the crane she was indicating was not going to do the job.

"See the guy at the crane in the red cap, he's waiting for you now."

I wondered over, they were hauling a smaller motor yacht out at the time. Mr Red Cap asked me to have my boat alongside in thirty minutes. "This crane?" I asked. "Why not?" was his response, "This thing can haul Lagoon 450's" which are a touch larger the ours.



Ok. Luckily there was no wind because it seemed I was going to move the boat short handed. ie; on my todd. Thirty minutes and the boat was alongside. They loosened the outside shrouds (the cables that hold up the mast) so they didn't catch on the upper superstructure, swung the crane with huge belts sliding beneath the boat and into place.

Then up and out, a trailer ready to move her into her winter spot.









The man with the Gurney was on hand to blast the bum clean. I'm not sure what brand of anti fowl they used in Lavrio before she went into the water this season but it was untouched looking like it's about to go back in.










When I asked the guy where they were going to put it, I really didn't believe him. I'd be living aboard, cooking, cleaning, scrubbing, spraying. Music so I could hear it wherever I am on the boat. "Are you serious?"

To explain. This planned spot is the entrance quay to the marina. It is ten paces from the Gloribar pub, twenty paces from the Yacht Club swimming pool and club house. Fifty paces to reception and the ablution facilities... In other words, Piccadilly bloody Circus.







Luckily she was set much higher up than usual so I can see all around but those on the ground cannot see in. (I just measured it because I'm a dick but the deck is 3.5 meters up - then another 2 meters to the water)

I do need to be a little mindful getting on and off though. It's freaky.







Well that is it folks. This is the final post for 2016. It has been a blast and so unlike season 2015 which was so unlike season 2014. As I'm sure you've contemplated, it is not all beer and skittles but there has not been a single moment when I've thought, I'd rather be at work.

From Athens to the Cyclades and through the Corinth Canal. Revisiting fave spots like Gaios and Kalami Bay before Albania, Montenegro and Southern Croatia. Over 1000 nautical miles, 46 stops, 110 hours per engine and way more motoring than sailing this year.

Just over 19,000 page views of this blog. Thank you all for making the task worthwhile. Bye!

1 comment:

  1. Greg, your pool badly needs cleaning when you get home, and the grass is so long. Sorry, we'll be away for a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete