Friday 1 July 2016

Mykonos - A cliche' we will not be returning to

We were warned.... A dusty half constructed marina where anchor chains are bound to cross. An attractive shopping precinct, over priced, over crowded and under serviced, but if you're going to do the Cyclades you do have to sample this place.


There was a very convenient 'sea bus' which docked 20 meters from our boat. This chugged us into the old harbour where, for no apparent reason yachts are no longer permitted, and into the heart of Mykonos the town.
We have been waiting to see those buildings touted on Greek Island brochures, the adobe style, brilliant white buildings with features in sky blue, mimicking the colours of the Greek flag. Well this is where you see them and as you enter the maze that is the shopping precinct, you can't help but be intrigued. 





Tiny winding alleyways with everything from cheap stuffed toy souvenir shops to Louis Vuitton, Follie Follie, Lacoste' and any expensive brand you care to name. If shopping is your thing, you will be delighted. Restaurants, champagne bars, tavernas, a map being of little or no use at all.

We found a Trip Adviser recommended restaurant Katrin. Family run since forever, named after the now long gone matriarch "Catherine" but now staffed by brothers and cousins all doing a great job. 
The meal was right up there, but then so was the bill, 375 Euro for two adults and two kids and only one bottle of wine!


Day two and Sal took the kids to town. I stayed on the boat for chores and because shopping is not my thing. I soon found myself donning the scuba gear in order to help untangle the crossed chains as yachts attempted but failed to leave.
It wasn't long before the port captain was bellowing at my neighbors that I should exit the water immediately, that only his dive guy was permitted to untangle the chains... No prizes for guessing but it has something to do with money.

Showered, changed bused into town as the 'sea bus' was now too full on the inward leg thanks to an enormous, freshly docked cruise ship. I finally caught up with Sal and the kids, had a drink and relieved her of them, Mykonos is not the place to enjoy some retail therapy with a 9 and 11 year old in tow. 

An earlyish night for an anticipated early departure for Tinos where we planned to rendezvous with our annual crew member, Al Reid from Canada. Whilst under water I did take the opportunity to ensure that our anchor chain was clear so leaving would not be a drama.


I rose early to ready the boat, the dingy needed pumping up a touch so I reached up to hang onto the solar panel frame and lower myself into it...The fishing rods live across the two bikes hanging from the same frame and as I let go, ouch!

Any fishermen reading this will be smiling right now. It was clear the hook had gone in past the barb making extraction the way it went in a non starter. I woke Sal apologetically with my little problem. She helped push the hook through so that once cut it could be pulled through.. My cutters made no impression on the stainless steel hook whatsoever so it was a case of finding somebody with bolt cutters or finding a Greek hospital.... Walking around with a lure attached,

I did find a man with bolt cutters, I found an Orthopedic surgeon with some medical alcohol and with my cutters in hand to grab the point of the hook and pull it through, we went to it. In a few moments, the hook was cut and pulled through leaving what now looks like a snake bite. A nice parting gift from Mykonos.

2 comments:

  1. Glad its all healed up OK. I wished I'd taken a photo for my blog, so have lifted yours! Boyd

    ReplyDelete